Life's minutiae

I think too much and it's often not a healthy thing.

Friday, August 29, 2008

Defining my belief system

I was asked by a friend of mine, who is doing some amateur research, to define my worldview. Immediately, I thought of: empathetic, kind, thoughtful, pleasant, etc. But, the more I really thought of my beliefs, I began to consider what drove those beliefs. As a result, I wrote the following. It's actually, for someone who thinksthinksthinks as much as I do, it's not an easy question.

***
I really deliberated on this, because it’s a difficult question; and, if you’re not honest, a useless question.

It seems obvious that everyone has a selfish motivation to their system of daily beliefs that drive their behavior as a whole, but also how they react in emotional situations.

Why? Because instinctually, humans are motivated by things that “feel good”, and thus are conditioned to repeat those behaviors. Think Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.

If someone’s belief system is based around family, it’s because family makes them feel good. If it’s gaining respect of people around them, it’s because that is a “need” and makes them feel good. If it’s a religion, it’s because religion supplants fear. If it’s philanthropy, it’s because it is rewarding to help others.

So, perhaps it’s not a “belief” system. It’s a network of motivations that drive your beliefs.

So, what is my worldview? What dominates my beliefs and guides my actions and reactions? Essentially, it’s making other people or myself comfortable/safe.

How does that manifest itself on a day to day level? Conflict avoidance and resolution. Positive viewpoint in most instances. Strong levels of empathy. Simple life and social anxiety. Always giving people the benefit of the doubt. Strong radar for perception of fairness. Comfort – financially, intimately, employment, socially. Not a risk taker. Risk doesn’t make me feel good, so it does not influence me.

How does that manifest itself on a “worldview” basis? Strong reaction to injustices, sometimes out of proportion. Focus on social issues, moreso than the economy and international policies. Difficult to trust that which I cannot see/feel, i.e. religion.

What a difficult question. Being honest with yourself is the only way to get an answer worth reading.

1 Comments:

At Wed Nov 04, 08:06:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Being honest with yourself is the only way to get an answer worth reading."
That's a pretty righteous statement. I found your blog because it came up first when I checked the spelling of "minutiae" while trying to write a blog post of my own. Thanks for the reminder of where to start.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home